April 11, 2012
SEA RAY RELAYS
April 11-14, 2012 | All Day
Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium | Knoxville
- From April 11-14, the 46th-annual Sea Ray Relays will take place on the UT campus at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium. Admission is free.
- The meet begins Wednesday at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium with the first day of the women's heptathlon at 1 p.m. and men's Scott Hartman Decathlon at 1:30 p.m. Those events resume Thursday at noon (decathlon) and 1 p.m. (heptathlon). Tennessee has no one entered in either event.
- The only other event on the first two days is the women's hammer throw, at 5 p.m. on Thursday, and that is when UT will first see action in the meet.
- Friday's full slate of action gets underway at 12:15 p.m. with the men's open discus. The first running event is the women's 3000m run at 12:35 p.m. The final event of day three is the men's 10,000m run at 8:15 p.m.
- While the first event of Saturday is the men's hammer throw at 8:45 a.m., the brand new "Sea Ray Showcase" is set to start at noon and offer fans a two-hour window of the meet's best races.
Noting The Big Orange
- Saturday at the Sea Relays will be different this season, as the Sea Ray Showcase features a two-hour window that includes only the top men's and women's heats and sections for nine different events.
- Being contested during the Sea Ray Showcase will be the 200m, 1500m, 800m, 400m hurdles, 400m and 100m as well as the distance medley, 4x100m and 4x400m relays.
- In addition to the showcase events, a full slate of field events will be taking place on Saturday, beginning with the men's hammer throw at 8:45 a.m. .
- Immediately after the showcase, the meet climaxes with a bevy of relay races, running from 2:10 to 5:45 p.m.
Sea Ray Showcase Watch List For Tennessee
- Women: Kia Jackson (100m), Brittany Jones (100m/200m), Martinique Octave (400m), Chanelle Price (1500m), Brittany Sheffey (1500m), Ellen Wortham (400mH)
- Men: Terry Benson (400mH), Joe Franklin (800m), Jamol James (100m/200m), Nick Kaiser (800m), Jarael Nelvis (200m), Varick Tucker (400m).
2012 Tennessee Senior Recognitions Are Saturday During "Sea Ray Showcase"
- UT's seniors will be recognized on the track during a brief ceremony at 1:45 p.m. Saturday.
- Nine Vol seniors will be honored, including Terry Benson, Desmond Brown, Kevin Carney, Joe Franklin, Tom Gilmartin, Scott March, Robert Rasnick, Garrek Thompson and Varick Tucker.
- There are 13 Lady Vol seniors, including Annie Alexander, Elizabeth Altizer, Bianca Blair, Andrea Ferri, Ashley Harris, Charity Honeycutt, Brittany Jones, Laquoya Kelly, Chelsea Knotts, Chanelle Price, Brittany Sheffey, Elizabeth Tiller and Ellen Wortham.
"Sea Ray Showcase" Debuts In 2012, Offers Fan-Friendly Window Of Action
Complete Meet Notes