April 19, 2012
April 20-21, 2012 | All Day
Vanderbilt Track Complex | Nashville
- Tennessee is slated to compete on Friday and Saturday at the Vanderbilt Invitational in Nashville.
- The meet begins Friday at 3 p.m. Central Time with field events and has running events starting at 5 p.m.
- On Saturday, field events get under way at 10 a.m. CT, while races on the track are slated to begin at noon. The final event is scheduled to start at 3:15 p.m.
- Tennessee will not be taking full men's and women's teams to Nashville, as the distance corps gears up for a busy weekend at the Penn Relays on April 26-28.
Noting The Big Orange
- Tennessee won three events a year ago in limited action at the Vanderbilt Invitational.
- Ellen Wortham claimed the women's 400m hurdles in 58.36 and ran the second leg on UT's winning 4x100m relay unit (44.73).
- Chase Brannon set a meet record in the return to his home area, winning the men's pole vault with a clearance of 16-6 3/4.
Sea Ray Relays Recap
- Tennessee's women and men combined to win 11 events and set a meet record at the 46th-annual Sea Ray Relays in Knoxville, April 11-14.
- The Lady Vols won the Showcase 400mH, 1500m, 100m, 4x100m relay and 4x400m relay, as well as the Invitational discus and open 200m, long jump and 4x800m relay.
- The Vols claimed victories in the Showcase 100m and Invitational discus.
- Ellen Wortham matched a meet record in the 400m hurdles, running a nation-leading time of 55.93, won the long jump and ran the opening leg on the winning Showcase 4x400m relay unit. It marked the third straight season she won the 400m hurdles at the meet.
- Tavis Bailey won the men's discus the second-straight weekend, getting a mark of 176-9.
- Annie Alexander won her fourth Sea Rays discus crown with a toss of 181-11 and finished her career as a six-time winner at the meet, including a pair of shot put titles.
Lady Vols, Vols On The NCAA East Qualifying List
- Annie Alexander (wSP, 56-8.75) and Ellen Wortham (w400mH, 55.93) have the No. 1 marks in their events on the NCAA East Preliminary Round qualifying list. Participants in the NCAA East meet will compete for the chance to advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- Other top-10 ranked UT athletes on the NCAA East list include Annie Alexander (2nd, wDT, 181-11), Chanelle Price (2nd, w800m, 2:03.36), Brittany Sheffey (4th, w1500m, 4:19.14), Brittany Jones (6th, w200m, 23.27), Jamol James (7th, m100m, 10.24), Robert Rasnick (9th, mPV, 17-4.50/5.30m) and Matthew Hoty (10th, mSP, 59-9.75/18.23m).
- The 2012 NCAA East Preliminary Round meet will be held May 24-26 in Jacksonville, Fla.
- The VOLSCARS UT Athletics awards dinner was held April 9. Track & field earned two honors.
- Senior Chelsea Knotts received the Howard Aldmon Female Volunteer Award, and sophomore Linda Hadfield was named the Helen B. Watson Female Scholar of the Year.
Last Year At The Vanderbilt Invitational
VOLSCARS Awards For Track & Field
Complete Meet Notes