May 9, 2012
SEC OUTDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
May 10-13, 2012 | All Day
Bernie Moore Stadium | Baton Rouge, La.
- The Vols and the 19th-ranked Lady Vols will be in Baton Rouge, La., for the SEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships, May 10-13, at LSU's Bernie Moore Stadium.
- UT won't have anyone in action on day one, but the meet starts on Thursday with the women's heptathlon at 3 p.m. Central time and men's decathlon at 3:30 p.m. CT.
- Friday's slate opens with field events at 11:30 a.m. CT and running events at 6 p.m. CT, while Saturday start times are 2 p.m./4:30 p.m. CT and Sunday's are 1 p.m./3 p.m. CT.
- There are seven top-25 teams in the men's field and five in the women's, and those numbers would expand to eight and six, respectively, if soon-to-be SEC foe Texas A&M were added to the equation.
Noting The Big Orange
Watching The SEC Outdoor Meet
- ESPN3.com will live stream the final two days of the meet on the internet.
- On Sat., May 12, the stream will run from 4:30-7:15 p.m. Central time (5:30-8:15 p.m. ET).
- On Sun., May 13, the stream will run from 3-7 p.m. CT (4-8 p.m. ET).
- ESPNU will televise a highlight show of the meet on Wed., May 23, from 7-9 p.m. CT (8-10 p.m. ET).
Conference Champions Returning For Tennessee
- Tennessee returns SEC Outdoor champions in five different events.
- Returning women's running event victors include Chanelle Price (800m, 2:04.22), Brittany Sheffey (1500m, 4:25.75) and Ellen Wortham (400m hurdles, 55.70).
- Annie Alexander won the women's shot put (57-5) and discus throw (184-5) last year and claimed titles in those events in 2008 as well.
Other Key Returnees From Last Season
- In addition to winning the 1500m last season, Brittany Sheffey was third in the 5K (16:32.98).
- In addition to winning the 400m hurdles, Ellen Wortham was fourth in the long jump (19-11) and ran on UT's sixth-place 4x100m (44.73) and seventh-place 4x400m (3:38.62) relays.
- Chase Brannon was fifth in the men's pole vault (16-6 3/4) a year ago.
- Kianna Ruff (800m, 2:07.97) and Linda Hadfield (pole vault, 13-1 3/4) posted sixth-place finishes.
- The UT men return three from their seventh-place 4x400m (3:12.84) unit and two from their 4x100m (40.82) tandem.
Tennessee Trending At SEC Outdoors
- Chanelle Price is seeking to become UT's fourth-consecutive SEC Outdoor 800m champ and improve the Lady Vols' league-leading total of wins in that event to 12.
- Brittany Sheffey is trying to help the Lady Vols win their fifth 1500m crown in the past seven seasons and up their league-leading tally to 14 at that distance.
- Ellen Wortham will try to give UT its third repeat winner of the SEC Outdoor women's 400m hurdles, joining Tonya Lee (1991-92) and Sharrieffa Barksdale (1983-84).
- Annie Alexander is attempting to repeat as SEC Outdoor shot and discus champ and win her third outdoor crown in each of those events.
- She also is shooting to become only the second SEC woman to win three discus titles and and the fourth to win three or more outdoor shot put crowns.
- Chase Brannon or Robert Rasnick will try to keep the Vols' strength in the men's pole vault current and claim the program's sixth outdoor win in the past seven seasons.
Complete Meet Notes