May 22, 2012
- The Vols and ninth-ranked Lady Vols will be in Jacksonville, Fla., May 24-26, at Hodges Stadium on the University of North Florida campus.
- The three-day meet will feature the East's top 48 athletes in each event, except for relays, where there will be 24 teams competing.
- The top 12 athletes and the top 12 relay teams will advance to the NCAA Championship meet in Des Moines, Iowa, on June 6-9.
- Tennessee qualified a combined 26 athletes in 22 events for the 2012 meet. The qualifying field grew from the 2011 East Preliminaries, where 18 UT athletes participated in 18 events.
Noting The Big Orange
Tennessee Qualifiers For The NCAA East Preliminary Round
- Senior Ellen Wortham is the top-seeded qualifier for the women's 400m hurdles, with a time of 55.55 that earned her first place at the SEC Outdoor Championships.
- Six-time SEC Outdoor champion Annie Alexander is the second seed in both the women's shot put and discus. Her season best in the discus (186-3) earned her a third league title in that event, while she threw her season-best mark in the shot (56-9.50) at the UCSD Triton Invite.
- Chase Brannon is the top-qualifying Vol, seeded fifth in the East in the pole vault. His height of 17-8.50 earned him a career best and fourth place at the SEC Outdoor Championships.
- Two Lady Vols are in the top 10 in the East in the 800m. Senior Chanelle Price (2nd, 2:03.15) and junior Nijgia Snapp (6th, 2:03.88) both earned their qualifying times at the SEC Championships. They are also joined by 13th-ranked Kianna Ruff (2:04.85), who also earned her season and career-best time at the league championship meet.
Top Returning Performers From The 2011 NCAA East Meet
- Ellen Wortham qualified last year for the 400m hurdles, 4x100mR, and 4x400mR. Though she will not be running on the 4x100mR team in 2012, she has earned a qualification in the long jump (13th, 20-5.75), keeping her event total at three.
- Three of the four members of both the Lady Vols' 4x100mR (7th, 44.44) and 4x400mR (6th, 3:33.85) teams are returning for that race. Ashley Harris, Martinique Octave, and Kia Jackson all competed in the 4x100m a year ago. They are joined this year by senior Brittany Jones. Ellen Wortham, Martinique Octave, and Kianna Ruff are returning for the longer relay. Junior Nijgia Snapp will join them in that relay this year. Both relay teams qualified for the NCAA Championships last season.
- Seniors Annie Alexander (wDT, wSP), Brittany Sheffey (w1500m), and Chanelle Price (w800m) all qualified for the NCAA Championships at this meet last year.
- For the Vols, sophomore Chase Brannon (mPV, 5th, 17-8.50) and senior Desmond Brown (mLJ, 33rd, 24-6.25) will both be returning to the NCAA East Preliminary meet this year.
Complete Meet Notes