May 24, 2011
TENNESSEE TRAVELS TO NCAA EAST PRELIMINARY ROUND MEET
* The Vols and Lady Vols depart Wednesday morning and will be in Bloomington, Ind., May 26-28 for the NCAA East Preliminary Round meet.
* The event takes place at Indiana University's Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex and runs Thursday through Saturday.
* The East's top 48 individuals in each event, except for the decathlon and heptathlon, as well as the top 24 relays will be on hand to compete for berths in the NCAA Outdoor Championship meet in Des Moines, Iowa, on June 8-11.
* This marks the second season the NCAA has used the two preliminary round format instead of the former four region design.
* There are no winners of events at this meet. The goal is to finish among the top 12 individual and relay finishers at this meet and advance to Des Moines.
* A complete schedule of events can be found in the media notes package link below.
UT'S PARTICIPANTS IN THE EAST PRELIM. MEET
* Tennessee qualified 10 women in 11 events and nine men in seven events for the NCAA East Preliminary Round.
* UT also will take two women's relay alternates, bringing the total squad to 21 student-athletes (12 women, 9 men).
* Women's qualifiers include junior Annie Alexander (discus, shot), senior Liz Costello (5000m), freshman Linda Hadfield (pole vault), junior Ashley Harris (4x100mR), sophomore Kia Jackson (100m, 4x100mR), sophomore Martinique Octave (400m, 4x100mR, 4x400mR), junior Chanelle Price (800m, 4x400mR), freshman Kianna Ruff (800m, 4x400mR), junior Brittany Sheffey (1500m) and junior Ellen Wortham (400mH, 4x100mR, 4x400mR). Relay alternates include junior Brittany Jones (4x100mR) and sophomore Nijgia Snapp (4x400mR).
* The men's qualifiers are Joe Berry (pole vault), Chris Bodary (10,000m), Chase Brannon (pole vault), Desmond Brown (long jump), Nathan Grace (200m), Justin Hunter (long jump, high jump), Dentarius Locke (100m, 200m), Michael Spooner (10,000m) and Varick Tucker (400m).
* Tennessee's qualifiers are listed on the second page of the notes package with their rankings in the East field as well as their entry marks.
TRACKING THE NCAA EAST PRELIMINARY ROUND
* The NCAA East Preliminary Round Website can be found on the IU Athletics Website.
* A schedule of events as well as live results and live video links can be found in the Media Info. box on the front page.
* UT daily meet recaps and results of Vol and Lady Vol competitors will be sent to the media after each day of competition. That information also will be posted on UTSports.com and UTLadyVols.com.
* The meet will not be televised.
FOLLOW TENNESSEE TRACK & FIELD ON TWITTER
* Be sure to follow Tennessee track & field on Twitter: @Vol_Track and @LadyVol_Track.
* The hashtag for the NCAA East Preliminary Round is #NCAAD1E.