COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Tennessee volleyball team hits the road for the first of four consecutive road matches, taking on South Carolina on Wednesday at 9 p.m.
The Vols (10-4, 1-1 SEC) will be in a nationally televised match for the first time this season against South Carolina (12-1, 0-1). The match will air on ESPNU, the first of seven nationally televised matches for the Vols.
Tennessee went 1-1 in the opening weekend of conference, losing to Mississippi State 3-0 before defeating Georgia 3-0. For more news and notes:
ON THE ROAD…
- Wednesday’s match is the first of four consecutive road matches for the Vols (South Carolina, Florida, Troy, Kentucky).
- The Vols are 3-1 this season in road matches.
- On the road, Bri Holmes averages 3.75 K/S and hits .326, more than 50 points higher than her season average. Tessa Grubbs averages 3.79 K/S.
- Wednesday’s match against South Carolina marks the first nationally televised match for the Vols. The match starts at 9 p.m., the latest start time for the Vols this year as well.
- Sunday’s match against No. 5 Florida will be the Vols’ first contest against a ranked team.
- The Vols went 1-1 at home to open SEC play, losing to Mississippi State 3-0 before beaing Georgia 3-0.
- Tessa Grubbs led UT with 4.17 K/S and hit a team-leading .488 in her SEC debut. She had a career-best three aces vs. UGA.
- Bri Holmes led Tennessee with 14 kills against MSU and 10 more against UGA. She passed the career 750-kill milestone and now has 757.
- Sedona Hansen recorded her team leading sixth double-double vs. MSU (33 assists, 10 digs).
- Five Vols made SEC debuts: Grubbs, Hansen, Alyssa Andreno, Britney Vallez and Asha Phillips.
SERIES VS. SOUTH CAROLINA
- Series: UT leads 37-28
- Last 10: UT leads 7-3
- Current Streak: SC W1
- Last Match: The Vols and SC split matches last season. UT won 3-2 at home but SC won 3-0 in Columbia late in the year.
- UT has played with eight starting lineups this season but had a more consistent lineup near the end of non-conference play.
- The Vols have used the same lineup in nine matches: S Sedona Hansen, RS Alyssa Andreno, OH Bri Holmes, MH Erica Treiber, MB Raina Hembry, DS Britney Vallez and L Bridgette Villano.
- As a sophomore Treiber has started all but one match of her UT career.
- In addition to Villano taking libero duties, Brooke Schumacher has played libero in three matches, including five of six sets last weekend.
- Hembry is closing in on the 100th match played of her Tennessee career, entering the weekend with 99 matches played and 84 starts.
- Villano has also played in 99 matches.